India Today Headline

Dominic Calvert-Lewin, an Everton striker, had his red card overturned

<p>On Tuesday, Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s contentious red card in Everton’s FA Cup third-round matchup against Crystal Palace was overturned.</p>
<p><img decoding=”async” class=”alignnone wp-image-345574″ src=”https://www.theindiaprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/theindiaprint.com-dominic-calvert-lewin-an-everton-striker-had-his-red-card-overturned-everton-domin.jpg” alt=”theindiaprint.com dominic calvert lewin an everton striker had his red card overturned everton domin” width=”1076″ height=”717″ title=”Dominic Calvert-Lewin, an Everton striker, had his red card overturned 3″ srcset=”https://www.theindiaprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/theindiaprint.com-dominic-calvert-lewin-an-everton-striker-had-his-red-card-overturned-everton-domin.jpg 510w, https://www.theindiaprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/theindiaprint.com-dominic-calvert-lewin-an-everton-striker-had-his-red-card-overturned-everton-domin-150×100.jpg 150w” sizes=”(max-width: 1076px) 100vw, 1076px” /></p>
<p>Following his dismissal for a challenge on Palace defender Nathaniel Clyne during last Thursday’s 0-0 draw at Selhurst Park, Calvert-Lewin was facing a three-game suspension.</p>
<p>Before VAR stepped in, the striker had attacked Nathaniel Clyne outside the area. Although it seemed like a studs-up tackle, the Everton player got the ball and there was no foul called.</p>
<p>After seeing the footage, referee Chris Kavanagh issued the red card, bringing Everton down to 10 men in the 79th minute.</p>
<p>After the match, Everton manager Sean Dyche said that although he remained a supporter of VAR, he was starting to lose patience with it.</p>
<p>The next day, Everton said that they would appeal the ruling, and their challenge had been successful.</p>
<p>A statement from the Football Association said, “Dominic Calvert-Lewin will be available for Everton’s next three games following a successful claim of wrongful dismissal.”</p>
<p>“On Thursday, January 4, 2024, during the Emirates FA Cup match against Crystal Palace, the striker was sent off for serious foul play.”</p>
<p>Following the incident, Sean Dyche, the manager of Everton, said that although he was still “a fan” of VAR, it was “beginning to test my patience.”</p>
<p>“I don’t know why the monitor is there,” he said.</p>
<p>“What’s the purpose, every fan must be asking themselves. We are all aware of the result—they will accept whatever is said to them.</p>
<p>The striker is now eligible for the Toffees’ Premier League games against Aston Villa on January 14 and Fulham on January 30, as well as the FA Cup third-round replay versus Palace on January 17, after the appeal was granted. He will not serve a punishment as a result.</p>